Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Jinjuseong Castle

Jinjuseong Castle(area 1,760m2, stone castle) is a sacred ground of Jinju in which history and culture of Jinju are well integrated. Originally it had been a mud castle. But it was rebuilt with stones against frequent invasion of sea marauders in the 5th year of King Woo, Goryeo Dynasty(1379). During the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592, the General Gim, Si-min won a victory at this castle, which was one of three great victories in the war. And the next year(1593), in the second Jinjuseong Battle, about 70,000 militia corps and government troops resisted to the last to die for their country gloriously. There are many historical relics on this site such as Jinju National Museum, Jinjuseong Imjindaecheop Gyesasunuidan Altar, Changnyeolsa Temple, and Hoguksa Temple.

Location : Bonseong-dong, Namseong-dong, Jinju-si

Jinju was an ancient city of Goryeonggaya in the Gaya Era. This city was called 'Geoyeolseong' of Baekje in the Three Kingdom Era, and was called 'Geoyeolju', 'Cheongju', and 'Gangju' in the Unified Silla Era. Name of this city was changed into 'Jinju' for the first time in the 23rd year of King Taejong of the Goryeo Dynasty(940).

It became 'Jinju-mok', one of 12 moks(local administrative units in Goryeo and Joseon Dynasty) in the 2nd year of King Seongjong(983). In the 33rd year of King Gojong of the Joseon Dynasty(1896), administrative district of the nation was reorganized with 13 provinces. At that time Jinju began to belong to Gyeongsangnam-do, and became capital town of Gyeongsangnam-do. And provincial governor started to reside at Jinju. On April 1, 1925, Busan replaced Jinju as provincial capital.

On August 15, 1949, the government of the Republic of Korea was established and 'the local self-government system' was started. At that time, Jinju-bu was raised to Jinju-si(city) and started to have mayor of the city. On January 1, 1995, in accordance with 'the Law pertaining to the establishment of Urban-Rural Integrated City', Jinju-si and Jinyang-gun became extinct and were merged into one integrated Jinju-si(city).

Sunday, November 8, 2009


Pyochungsa is located on Jaeyaksan Mountain, which is called the ‘Alps of the Yeongnam region,’ to the southwest of Cheonhwangsan Mountain. Pyochungsa is also one of the most popular tourist spots in the Miryang area.It was originally named Jukrimsa when Great Master Wonhyo founded it.

Pyochungsa makes a deep impression by reminding us of the Korean ancestors’ love of their country and people. The temple is in a most auspicious location in terms of geomancy (Chi: Feng Shui); Gajisan, Unmunsan, and Jaeyaksan Mountains are standing in the background, while two river courses join in front of the temple and surround this location. According to a geomantic prophecy, the temple is expected to produce six more saints who will save the future of the country. On the temple grounds stands a famed stone monument called Pyochungbi (Foremost Patriotism Tablet), which was erected to extol the patriotic deeds of Great Master Song-un a.k.a. Samyeongdang. The monument has been reported to drip sweat whenever serious national affairs or disasters befall the nation, as if predicting them. For example, it shed sweat before the Gabogyeongjang Reform in 1894, the Japanese annexation of Korea in 1910, the March 1 Movement for national independence in 1919, the liberation of Korea on August 15 in 1945, the Korean War in 1950, the April 19 Movement for democracy in 1960, and the May 16 coup d’etat in 1961.