Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Jinjuseong Castle

Jinjuseong Castle(area 1,760m2, stone castle) is a sacred ground of Jinju in which history and culture of Jinju are well integrated. Originally it had been a mud castle. But it was rebuilt with stones against frequent invasion of sea marauders in the 5th year of King Woo, Goryeo Dynasty(1379). During the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592, the General Gim, Si-min won a victory at this castle, which was one of three great victories in the war. And the next year(1593), in the second Jinjuseong Battle, about 70,000 militia corps and government troops resisted to the last to die for their country gloriously. There are many historical relics on this site such as Jinju National Museum, Jinjuseong Imjindaecheop Gyesasunuidan Altar, Changnyeolsa Temple, and Hoguksa Temple.

Location : Bonseong-dong, Namseong-dong, Jinju-si

Jinju was an ancient city of Goryeonggaya in the Gaya Era. This city was called 'Geoyeolseong' of Baekje in the Three Kingdom Era, and was called 'Geoyeolju', 'Cheongju', and 'Gangju' in the Unified Silla Era. Name of this city was changed into 'Jinju' for the first time in the 23rd year of King Taejong of the Goryeo Dynasty(940).

It became 'Jinju-mok', one of 12 moks(local administrative units in Goryeo and Joseon Dynasty) in the 2nd year of King Seongjong(983). In the 33rd year of King Gojong of the Joseon Dynasty(1896), administrative district of the nation was reorganized with 13 provinces. At that time Jinju began to belong to Gyeongsangnam-do, and became capital town of Gyeongsangnam-do. And provincial governor started to reside at Jinju. On April 1, 1925, Busan replaced Jinju as provincial capital.

On August 15, 1949, the government of the Republic of Korea was established and 'the local self-government system' was started. At that time, Jinju-bu was raised to Jinju-si(city) and started to have mayor of the city. On January 1, 1995, in accordance with 'the Law pertaining to the establishment of Urban-Rural Integrated City', Jinju-si and Jinyang-gun became extinct and were merged into one integrated Jinju-si(city).

No comments:

Post a Comment